Friday, August 15, 2008

Just taking care of herself......

I got home a few weeks ago and played with the kids as usual and realized Kati was missing her collar. Being a puppy mill dog, she is not allowed to be without a collar due to their desire to run away if given the opportunity. So after searching a bit i found the collar by her bed and it has obviously been chewed off. She is constantly trying to chew on the tags but never gets far....until that time. I figured she must have been stuck on something but the collar was free and i could not figure out what.

Well this morning at about 5:30 i hear her usual collar chewing noise and tell her to stop, and she usually does. So after about three or so times of telling her to stop and it not happening i get up. The poor little thing has her dew claw stuck in the tag loop on the collar and she is just chewing away trying to free herself. She does a morning routine of scratching her neck and the collar moves all about, i guess that is how she got caught last time and had to chew her way out. As you can imagine she can't walk in that condition and must free herself. She did not whimper, cry out or anything when she got stuck. I can only think that it had to hurt just a bit but all looks fine. I find it interesting that she was smart enough not to just yank her paw free...that having torn the dew claw for sure. But had the fore site to chew off the collar if that is what actually happened. And silly me, i did not think to save or take a picture of that collar. Not sure how to get around that. She does not like having the toenails touched and those are getting longer all the time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Just a suggestion--why not have Kati "chipped" and then she can live without a collar. I even had my dogs tattooed as well as chipped because I do not believe in collars. (except for walks-of course) I would not want something around my neck all the time so I figure they don't either. I am so glad Kati has a forever, loving home--now if she can just get rid of that annoying thing she obviously hates....: )

Kati - Land said...

Kati is chipped, just not ready to take all her IDs off but have been taking it off of her at night for some relief at sleepy time.